How to prevent common cold infection
Recommendations to reduce the risk of infection from common cold and other respiratory viruses:
- Keep a distance of at least 1.5 meters between you and people with respiratory symptoms including coughing and sneezing.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap under warm running water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol based hand sanitiser if hand washing is not practical. This is especially important after sneezing, coughing or coming into contact with people who have respiratory symptoms.
- Always sneeze or cough into the crook of your arm.
- Clean or disinfect potentially contaminated objects and surfaces.
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes.
- Dispose of used tissues immediately.
- Stay home if you feel unwell so you don’t pass an infection on to others.
- Always try to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle.